Tuesday, June 15, 2010

German Beef Goulash Recipe

Years ago, I was courted by a handsome German gentleman (I'll call him Oliver) who was quite a bit older than I but he was very charming. Having turned him down twice for a date, he brought me a dish of German beef goulash. I reminded him that the stomach was the way to a man's heart and that I had never known a man who used the technique in reverse.
With a coy smile, he urged me to give it a try. Actually, I had tried German goulash before, but it was nothing compared to the dish of ambrosia that I tasted that day. When I asked for the recipe, he invited me to his place to show me, step by step, how to prepare it.

Oliver is no longer with us, but his recipe for German beef goulash lives on.

- 1 pound of Round Steak (Cubed )
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped onions
- 2 cups of water- 1/4 cup water (for thickening)
- 1/2 cup of evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper

In a large pot, add the olive oil and meat. Brown over medium heat for about ten minutes then add the onions and cook for another three to five minutes or until onions are translucent. Add garlic salt, regular salt, pepper and sugar, mixing well with each addition. Add the water, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 90 minutes.

Combine the flour and 1/4 cup of water then whisk until well blended with no clumps. Pour slowly over the meat, stirring constantly until it thickens. Slowly add the evaporated milk, and again, stir constantly. Take it off the burner.

By Pat Lunsford,

No comments: